Free Web Counter My Life: Migraines

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Migraines

I've been having problems with migraines again. Normally I would get 1-2 a year. I have had 4 in the last 5 weeks. Needless to say it's a little frustrating. I realized that I need to watch what I eat and not eat the "trigger" food. I went to the Dr. today and there are obvious things I shouldn't eat: peanuts, wine, caffeine, citrus fruit (didn't know about this one), chocolate, etc. I thought, sure, I can totally do this. I can still eat a lot of fruit which I love and meat, so I should be fine. After doing some research online tonight, here is the list I found of the only "safe" foods to eat:

Rice, especially brown rice
Cooked green vegetables, such as broccoli, spinach, Swiss chard, or collards
Cooked orange vegetables, such as carrots or sweet potatoes
Cooked yellow vegetables, such as summer squash
Cooked or dried non-citrus fruits: cherries, cranberries, pears, prunes (but not citrus fruits, apples, bananas, peaches, or tomatoes)
Water: Plain water or carbonated forms, such as Perrier, are fine. Other beverages—even herbal teas—can be triggers.
Condiments: Modest amounts of salt, maple syrup, and vanilla extract are usually well-tolerated.

I thought, wow - that's an interesting group of foods. Then I kept reading. Here is a group of foods that are called the "dirty dozen" - foods you shouldn't eat if you have migraines:

dairy products*
chocolate
eggs
citrus fruits (grapes, oranges, grapefruit)
meat**
wheat (bread, pasta, etc.)
nuts and peanuts
tomatoes
onions
corn
apples
bananas
* Includes skim or whole cow’s milk, goat’s milk, cheese, yogurt, etc.
** Includes beef, pork, chicken, turkey, fish, etc.


Uh... my 3 favorite fruite - apples, bananas, and grapes; all kinds of meat and dairy and bread?? Holy cow - what in the world CAN I eat? I just had no idea there were so many trigger foods. The idea of this is to take these foods out and slowly reintroduce them and see what triggers the migraine. Yeah, the next 6 weeks will be a blast...

8 Comments:

Blogger ShannaKay said...

Trav and I have a really good vegan cookbook that has alot of the "safe" food recipes in it. I can't remember the name now, but if you're interested : ) I can get that info for you.

Hope you don't get more headaches.

6:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...thats a bummer coming from someone that loves to eat!! On the bright side it sounds like you can get that string bikini that you have always wanted. :)....I will pray for you Tricia!!

4:36 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Poor Kid!!!

5:27 PM  
Blogger Tricia said...

String Bikini? Holy cow - sorry to scare all of you readers :)

6:32 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

dang Tricia, so you'll basically be eating and drinking uhhh...water!

speaking of bikinis....i seem to remember a purple one you would sneak over to my house and wear! :) love ya loads!

9:25 AM  
Blogger Tricia said...

Uh, yeah, but that was in high school when I was a size 4!!

2:24 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:07 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

hey! i didn't even know you were going to chicago. i'm jealous.

so yeah we're in the same boat. the doctors have NO clue whats' wrong with me . i just got done with chest xrays and bloodwork. i'm basically dying

p.s. you're invited to my funeral

Love you!!!!

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW http://triciamiller.blogspot.com/